Thursday, March 17, 2011

beautiful mexico: day 1

It will take me quite a while to finish this post since most of the pictures are with my mother, but I will do my best. The first non-travel day in Akumal we went to a cave adventure place called Aktun Chen. We had been there before on our last Akumal trip. The caves were interesting. It is always fun to experience something that we don't have close by at home. The caves had the clear beautiful cenote water, stalagmites/stalactites, and bats. It was interesting to learn how the Mayans thought of cenotes as sacred places. I can see why they thought that; it is so quite and serene. We learned that going down into a cenote was a form of cleansing yourself and if you came out alive it meant that you were a new person. I don't know if I'm "new" but it was fun.



Outside the cave we found some exotic birds, boars, deer, and monkeys. Although to our disappointment the monkeys no longer roamed free to grab your hand. It wasn't the most action-packed day but it was still fun. Plus being in the cave was like being in a sauna, so it was like going to a very low-key country club or gym.




No comments:

Post a Comment